Thursday, January 26, 2012

How were your organic chemistry class and textbook?

I'm hoping to teach, and write a textbook, and I'd love to do both in new ways. What stuff in your organic textbook was completely useless? What was really confusing? Just give any opinion you got. Best Answer will go to the most insightful.How were your organic chemistry class and textbook?
Just an opinion, but let us say you found something that was really insightful. I'd argue that it would have to be different in how it is taught. Now the challenge becomes, who would use it?



I have had the chance to look at a number of textbooks. I think a legitimate question you might ask is whether teaching reaction mechanisms ought to be a priority? Books that are organized by reaction mechanism (which I favor) are in the minority. I believe that reaction mechanisms in and of themselves are insightful. I am surprised and dismayed to find as many professors that have abandoned some of the books that use that methodology.



Although I did not have the statistical strength of the larger schools and classes, I was surprised to find that my median students were about five percentile points higher on the ACS organic exam with a mechanism based text than a functional group based text. Students that know reactions mechanisms will do better on that exam than those that do not. (A mechanism is a rational description of how the electrons move in leading to a final product, again, an insightful method.)



I believe I had in some small ways succeeded in creating an innovative organic workbook. I would like to write a textbook, but that would be a pretty tall order. Using my book, I was able to raise my class average on the ACS organic chemistry exam by twenty percentile points. You may learn more about it here: "The Language of Organic Chemistry; A Guide to Organic Chemistry Mechanisms" at http://www.curvedarrowpress.com.How were your organic chemistry class and textbook?
well! teaching chemistry is not something which can be learned just by observation. u have to get practically involved in the teaching process. use your own chemistry teacher's teaching styles to develop ur own containing the positive aspects of those all.



Writing organic chemistry book in a NEW WAY is again a painstaking task. u have to go through all the available books, notes etc to do so.



I didnt find any USELESS stuff in my organic chemistry book. Its not just the book which teaches chemistry. its the TEACHER who clarifies the concepts in the minds of students and prepares them in such a way that they do not fully depend upon one specific book.



A good teacher makes his students understand the basic concepts and also develop in them a habit of thinking and solving (not copying) the assignments and work sheets assigned to them as their class work or homework.



Its just the same thing as when you see someone swimming its looks easy and you can comment on that too. But once you yourself jump into the waters then you really know the inner situation (of water as well as of your body and mind).



Its easier said than done so start working and it really helps to sit in the lectures of different senior chemistry teachers. Best of luck.
  • jet ski
  • google translations
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment