Thursday, January 26, 2012

What is the best textbook for studying Quantum Mechanics?

MIT uses 7 different textbooks for Quantum Mechanics II, III, but Rutgers uses one textbook for Quantum Mechanics II. Why is that? Does every Quantum Mechanics textbook have a different approach, different mathematical maturity level?What is the best textbook for studying Quantum Mechanics?
You're right -- there are different textbooks that have different emphases (quantum mechanics is a big field) depending on the background of the author, and the texts have different approaches, different formalisms, and involve different levels of mathematics.



Here are a few books I look at. For atomic theory and spectroscopy (including Zeeman and Stark effects), I go to Cohen-Tannoudji/Diu/Laloe (Quantum Mechanics) or Landau and Lifshitz (Quantum Mechanics). For angular momentum theory I go to Baym (Lectures on Quantum Mechanics), Shankar (Principles of Quantum Mechanics), Cohen-Tannoudji/Diu/Laloe, or Merzbacher (Quantum Mechanics). For perturbation theory, I go to Baym or Cohen-Tannoudji/Diu/Laloe. For scattering theory and semiclassical methods, I go to Branden and Joachain (Introduction to Quantum Mechanics) or Merzbacher. For the two-slit experiment, I go to Feynman (Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume III). For path integrals, I go to Feynman, Shankar, or Merzbacher. For Dirac notation, I go to Chester (Primer of Quantum Mechanics), Feynman, or Shankar. There are many other books, of course -- these are just ones I happened across in my studies (perhaps ten years ago).



It's hard to recommend one "good" text, given the variety in material and approach. It depends on your interests and background. Brandsen and Joachain isn't bad for undergraduates. I find the notation in Landau and Lifshitz and in Merzbacher to be hard to penetrate for some reason (maybe also Baym). Cohen-Tannoudji/Diu/Laloe is a good general text, but more at the advanced undergraduate or graduate level (as are many of the books I mentioned, actually).What is the best textbook for studying Quantum Mechanics?
My friend if you have wikipedia , you don't require a bokk but if you still need one than check out

The Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Dirac , it is more then hand full

No comments:

Post a Comment