Thursday, January 26, 2012

Should I buy the correct edition of a required textbook or settle for cheaper edition?

I just started my second semester in university and as many of you know it's time to buy these expensive textbooks. What I would like to know is: is it worth purchasing a new textbook (the appropriate edition) when you can get an older edition for much cheaper or even free? Basically, is their any big difference between a first or second edition textbook, and will I learn as much with the older textbook? Thanks in advance for the responses.Should I buy the correct edition of a required textbook or settle for cheaper edition?
Sometimes new textbooks come with a cd or a new chapter. There may also be some minor editing, reorganizing type changes. The best thing to do is ask the professor. If he/she says it's ok to use an older edition, then go ahead!
Go for the cheaper edition always and good places to buy are ecraters.com and half.com or doing a search on google by pressing the link shopping at the top and then inserting your keywords. This usually works!!! Whatever your studies may be at a particular time, the knowledge is the same.

Report Abuse

Should I buy the correct edition of a required textbook or settle for cheaper edition?
I have found that books have been updated and the images are the same, so as long as the ideas are the same thats all that matters, in addition is always good to have at least 2-3 sources.

Report Abuse


It depends on the course. If it's a math course or something where you could be assigned problems out of it, then you should go for the newer edition so that the problems are the same. Also, you should be careful of some of the science books because science is constantly changing, but if it's introductory level, then you're pretty safe with an older edition.

However, if it's a history course, or something, then go for an older edition. I wouldn't go for anything older than the previous edition though. Most books don't have that much of a difference between them.Should I buy the correct edition of a required textbook or settle for cheaper edition?
It depends on the teacher and the book you are using. I would highly reccomend emailing or calling your teacher to find out, or wait until the first day of class and ask them. (You rarely use the text book on the first day of class). My history teacher was fine with us getting an older edition text book because well, history doesn't change very much and most of his tests are from his notes. Same with my sociology book, I got the older edition for $10 and that is perfectly fine.



You will have some teachers that never use the textbook in class at all, and you may want to see if the textbook is available in your Library. I work in the library at my college, and I did not buy some of my books because they would only be useful for studying, and well, I'll just study at the library.
You should buy the correct edition becaue it might have some extras in it that will make studying easier.
As a college instructor, I can speak to just how frustrating this can be for everyone. In the undergraduate classes I teach, I structure my lectures around the text, but I also write study guides for my students, and often include page numbers. When the college adopts the newer edition, it throws EVERYTHING off for me, and creates a lot of unnecessary work for me, for which I do not get paid.



Usually edition changes involve very little additional info, but it for sure is always best to check with the instructor. We were in college too, and do understand how expensive things can get.
I just got my master's degree and have been doing the textbook thing for 7yrs now.



My best advice for you is to talk to older students who have taken the class prior to you. Many times, I have found the instructor loosely follows the text, so an older edition is ok. However, you do have some professors which teach exclusively from the text. Find out what teaching style the instructor has and go from there. Many times, I borrowed books from friends because it was something I didn't want to keep.



Generally, things don't change much between 1st and 2nd editions. Another option would be to get the older text and if you get any assignments from the text, then compare your book to a newer edition (ask someone else in the class). Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment