Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can you recommend me a good Cell Biology or Molecular Biology textbook?

Hello, I'm the high school freshman who wants to be a virologist. I have AP Biology and Science Olympiad: Cell Biology in next year, and also to my interest, I tried to self-study the Cell Biology and Molecular Biology...Do you know any good Cell Biology or Molecular Biology textbook?Can you recommend me a good Cell Biology or Molecular Biology textbook?
Just my views.



I own 3 molecular cell biology texts: Becker's, Lodish's, and Cooper's. Of those 3, Becker's is the best one for learning molecular cell biology.

"The World of the Cell: 7th Edition", by Wayne Becker.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Cell-7th-Way鈥?/a>



I do not own Albert's text, but the graphics I have seen from it (there is a CD for sale at Amazon that you can see some of the graphics) are crude, and better are the graphics in Becker's.



Becker's book does not have as high of a rating at Amaxon as Alberts, so if you go just by ratings, then Albert's is the way to go.



But I don't know about the Amazon reviewers that rated Becker's a 1, saying things like it was was a bunch of disorganized facts and/or that they could not follow the material in it. Those people are in sad shape since Becker's book explains things much better than either Cooper's or Lodish's: and if someone can't follow Becker's, they had better just give up on cell biology.









NOTE: If you join the Scientific American Book Club, you can get BOTH Becker's AND Cooper's molecular cell biology texts - and one other book of your choice - for something like $10, with a minimal obligation thereafter.Can you recommend me a good Cell Biology or Molecular Biology textbook?
The best text is Molecular Biology of the Cell by Bruce Alberts et. al. You will use this book throughout college. Good graphics and images to help you understand molecular biology.Can you recommend me a good Cell Biology or Molecular Biology textbook?
that's the one katy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment